Wednesday 25 April 2012

Identity


We all have an identity it is built up from religion, race, class, culture, sexuality and gender. In order to define the meaning of identity you have identify yourself as a person, what makes me, me? It is those factors that I have said above is what makes us unique. Well I know I am as I do what I want to do never following anyone, but it is very easy to be cast into a stereotype; this is not good as it says that these amounts of people who have been stereotyped all have the same identity. For example some people stereotype black people as criminals because of what media shows them. Enter the 2011 London riots.
This leads me to believing that these people as individuals have no identity but as a stereotype they have a grouped identity, which in this example are criminals. This is known as racial discrimination. As you stereotype people on their Identity of their skin colour. I am completely against this kind of thinking as it provokes hate between one another for ignorant reasons.
This is a very interesting video I have found which talks about and describes identity from various different perspectives.

References:
                (2011) [Online] Available at:
LOVEAGEEoX (2008) Identity- Who We Are Available at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_oI4aZn47E&feature=related (accessed: 13th April 2012).      

No comments:

Post a Comment